Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Adventure List: Tahoe

Next up for the Adventure List - a Tahoe trip!

A few friends were putting together a trip for MLK weekend, and I was allowed to tag along. Now, keep in mind my cold-weather wardrobe consists of sweatshirts and Uggs, and I haven't participated in any winter sports outside of snowball fights since I was 8 years old. But, after snagging lots of awesome (read: 1970s) hand-me-downs from my mother and filling my suitcase with wool and fleece (heretofore unfamiliar to me, the warmest-blooded person in the world), I was off to the mountains!

Our crew consisted of 9 people - 3 boys and 6 girls - in one large, fabulous house in Tahoe City. (I know this sounds like a "Real World: Tahoe" situation, but it was much more civilized than that. I promise.) We lucked out with incredible weather - tons of snow on the ground to play in, but clear, sunny skies - and I even attempted some winter sports.

Remember when I said I liked making lists? Yeah, I wasn't kidding. Below are things I found out about my friends and myself on this specific adventure.

Things I am good at:
- Cooking for a large group of people
- Snow tubbing
- Wearing fur blankets as a coat
- Drinking wine in front of a fireplace (especially while wearing said fur blanket as a coat)
- Snow-shoeing
- The Soulja Boy "Crank That" dance on Kinect for XBOX on level easy
- Jenga

Things I am not good at:
- Finding the not-cinnamon jelly beans in a giant jar
- Playing pool (I blame my depth perception, or lack of understanding of basic physics)
- Movie trivia about movies that are not 10 Things I Hate About You or Wedding Crashers
- Skiing
- Shooting an air soft handgun
- The Soulja Boy "Crank That" dance on Kinect for XBOX on level tough
- Skiing (yes, there is a reason it's on the list twice)

Discovering the things I am not good at was sad (although at times hilarious). But discovering the things I am good at was exciting (and also, at times, hilarious). I didn't want to come back to the city - who would, with piles of snow up to your armpits? - but at least I came back knowing that I had a group of friends I can call on for a night of shooting practice and snow tubbing.

No comments: